Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Sparty Not Top 10 Countdown


When I started The Sparty Countdown, I premised it saying how I was partly inspired by SportsCenter's Top 10 and that I actually enjoyed the Not Top 10 the most. I thought that concluding my Countdown of the top 10 things I will miss most from college with the top 10 things I will miss the least would be a fun and funny way to sign off (and probably make it a whole lot easier to bid farewell!). So here goes, my Sparty NOT Top 10:

10. The anxiety felt before a summer run when you can see the heat rising from the 100 degree turf and the sun is beating on your back. I came to love the competition of the runs... but that feeling before they started? Will not for a second miss that.

9. Getting around campus. If you're a driver, you hate walkers. If you're a walker, you hate drivers. If you're a biker, well, good luck. Doing any of this in the winter when the sidewalks haven't been shoveled and salt hasn't been thrown... ha, that's funny. Getting around on campus always provided either some comical relief if you were the observer or near-death experiences if you were caught in the crossfire.

8. Not always knowing what's going on for volleyball. Being a big time planner and overly organized, the fact that information was frequently never shared until the last minute drove me crazy! I'm not going to miss feeling like I'm not in the loop for events in my own life.

7. Homework and Exams and Textbooks. Woo-hoo! No more papers! No more studying! Hopefully no more homework-like deadlines that get the best of my procrastination out! No more having work to do after work!

6. "An Unwise Business Decision" - aka getting punished in the weight room after going to see the midnight show of Harry Potter. Come to find out, our strength coach thought that our being out till 3am meant we were up to some shenanigans, hence the harsh DF+3 on every single exercise. It was just a movie premiere during the summer!

5. The typical college students' disregard for others. Vandalization... Theft (of 3 of my locked up bikes!)... Filth... Thumping, annoying basses blaring during the week... This I can live without.

4. Those dreadful, hard volleyball-drills - particularly Key Drill and 2-Person Pit. For those of you who know what they are... you know the dread, the pain, the fear of those weekly days in practice or worse yet when they were a sneak attack and caught you off guard. Eeeeh, stomachs and faces always dropped upon hearing those words!

3. 2-a-days and not being able to move because I'm so sore. Those 2 weeks were always so painful... sports bra sweat burns, sore hips and legs and elbows and shoulders, having to waddle up stairs, forcing myself to wash my hair because of the tired and sore arms... Now I will only be sore when I feel like it! Of course I'll still work out, but no need to train that hard and get that unbearably sore!

2. Packing up and moving all the time, especially during preseason. I hate packing and moving enough as it is, but to inevitably have to do it during every single preseason was the worst. Especially since it needed to be done during our breaks (which were typically used for naps in between 2-a-days). Poor timing for one of the worst activities.

1. MSU PARKING. They could have easily taken up the Not Top 10 all by themselves. They're Nazi's. Good luck ever trying to fight an unjust ticket or run into a building for 2 minutes without getting one or parking for class or a meeting when any event is taking place on campus. MSU Parking... I will not miss you!

How lucky am I, that when I get to come back and visit MSU and the people I love, I won't have to worry about these things! Things that I may be able look back on and laugh at... and things that may have helped me get tougher and stronger... but things that always filled me with a little dread and were never enjoyable in the moment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment