Monday, April 30, 2012

The Sparty Countdown... #10 & #9


It's hard to believe that this is my final week in East Lansing and as a college student. I still vividly remember packing my room up at home the night before preseason, crying, being upset because our dog Lacey got sprayed by a skunk so no one was helping me (hahaha, yes, true story), and scared of what was to come at college. And now, here I am, 5 years later crying because I have to leave what has become my new home and life! Is this what they mean by the circle of life?!
Lacey getting a tomato juice bath
post skunk encounter

Because it has been difficult to come to grips with this chapter coming to a close, I've been inspired by both SportsCenter's Top 10 (and let's be honest - the Not Top 10 - which is far better) and another blog (a former opponent's, actually!) to create my own top 10 countdown... it's The Sparty Countdown (yes, please read with The Final Countdown song in mind)! I'll be documenting 2 of my favorite things and what I will miss most from MSU a day, finishing with 'the best of the best' on Friday, my final day here. I figure that making my Top 10 will not only serve as a good farewell and goodbye, but will also be a good coping tool for me as I try to embrace my last few days at State. 

My only regret for the countdown? I don't have videos of everything I'm about to share to really make it like SportsCenter! And (I know my mom will say "I told you so!") I barely have pictures of some of my favorite things because they were just me living life! Who would've thought I needed a picture of me in the dorms or studying at my favorite spots... it's so ordinary! And that's what makes this all so great... yes, I may have been named an All-American, and I may have gotten to travel to a countless number of states with volleyball, and I may have gotten a ton of sweet gear, etc.... but the things I'll miss most are the things that made up my daily routines and relationships. I have been so incredibly blessed throughout my career at State that I can barely put it into words - the overflow of my heart in praise to God will have to suffice (and of course my Top 10 Sparty Countdown)! So here goes...

#10 - Eating in the Cafe
Yumm... dessert station at Brody!
I never thought I would ever be saying that! Isn't the stereotype that dorm food is horrible?? But I tell you what, living in the dorms for 2 years with unlimited food always available at my fingertips and then having to be on my own was quite the adjustment. So much so that I actually got a meal plan and then once it ran out, I just started asking the underclassmen if I could swipe with their ID to get in :) And I guess I have to premise this one by letting you all know that we don't have just any old college cafes - 3 of the main cafes on campus have recently been redone, one of which (Brody) offers 9 different food stations and is the largest cafeteria in the U.S. behind military bases! Snyder Phillips was the big hit when I was still in the dorms, and now they've redone and upgraded the Case cafeteria, which was in my dorm's neighborhood.

How I feel when I'm at the dorms -
so much to sample, so little time (and stomach space!)
The dorm cafeteria's didn't make my Top 10 just because they've been redone, spruced up, and have amazing food, but I have a ton of memories in the dorms with my closest friends and teammates. After a hard morning workout or afternoon practice - cafe, hanging out all day studying - cafe, just grabbing dinner to catch up - cafe, watching the big game - cafe, having bible study - cafe, being with all the camp coaches during summer camps (and planning our flash mob)- cafe. I read somewhere that being around food boosts your endorphine levels so that your encounters are more enjoyable and remembered. Well, MSU Cafeterias... you have won me over and made not only your yummy food but also my memories there some that will sorely missed!

#9 - My Study Spots 
Getting 2 degrees while being a varsity athlete certainly wasn't a walk in the park. But I did find some amazing places to study that made doing all the hours of homework and studying a little bit better. To start off though, I will tell you what surprisingly did NOT make my list for study spots - my room (which never allowed for more than 30 minutes of productivity) and the Library (which is for muggles, aka the non-athlete... sorry for the stereotype!). A shame, I know, that I can't cross pulling an all-nighter on the 4th floor of the library off my MSU Bucket List, but the other 51 or so items that I've done on the list will have to make up for it. And now onto what the study spots that I will miss the most:













  • Grand River Coffee... best place ever! a) good food and drinks b) best study atmosphere around - comfy chairs and waterfall in the middle for some background noise and serenity c) connected to an old book shop if I need a break d) has a patio e) walking distance from campus and my apartments f) I think you get the picture... Not only was GR Coffee a great place to spend the whole day at studying, but it is also filled with many wonderful memories with friends and mentors - catching up, reading God's word, and just being together. As I've had more free time, it's also become a place for me to go and spend time with God which has been a wonderful blessing as well. 
  • Speaking of reading God's word - this wasn't one of the places I originally thought of, and I rarely studied here, but Grand Traverse Pie Company will always be near and dear to my heart for a different reason. It was the first place that my best friend Ashley and I read our bibles together in public! It seems silly looking back that it was such a big deal, but it just goes to show that there is always room for spiritual growth in the smallest of places!
  • The Smith Center... Club Smith... The Clara Bell... Smith... I spent many-a-night at our academic support services building in lock-down getting papers done and studying for finals. Not only did I get a ton of homework and paper writing/printing done at Smith, but it will also be a place I miss dearly because of my academic coordinator, Mandy (who will be discussed later in the week). Her office always provided warmth and comfort as I was able to talk my worries and stresses of life away!
That's all for Day 1... 8 more 'things' that have made my time at MSU truly incredible and 4 more days left to enjoy them to the fullest and make it count. "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment