Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Sparty Countdown... #2 & #1

This is it! The best of the best! Here are the top 2 things I have come to love and will miss the most from college:





#2 - Competing on the Big Stage
Big Life. Big Stage. Big 10. We've all seen the commercials and heard the slogan, and wow, is it ever true. I have been so blessed to have competed for MSU in the Big 10 - the best volleyball conference in the nation - where every single night is a battle, most likely against a Top-25 team. Cathy would always give us the analogy that we were performers - actors you could say - and the court was our stage. We were putting on a performance for the crowd and in order for it to be a successful production, we had to get all of our 'lines' or 'acts' right and work together. Boy, am I going to miss that stage.
I'm especially going to miss that stage because I am a competitor through and through. And I don't think I ever felt more exhilaration and excitement competing than when I did on the big stage donning my green and white. It may have taken me most of my career to let go of any inhibitions and of the fear of making mistakes or not pleasing coach; but once I finally did let go, the complete freedom and joy that I felt and played with was indescribable. I loved playing volleyball and I loved competing! And I think the best part was knowing that all the while I was able to give God the glory because I finally figured out that it wasn't about me, or the stats, or coach, or even the wins (as hard as that is to say!). It was about using my gifts to their fullest and just having fun glorifying Him. And that is where my joy and excitement and competitiveness were able to flow from so purely.

Even more than missing the joy and freedom and excitement I felt competing will be all of the little things that went into game-day and my competition. Competing with my teammates and working through the struggles to have great team dynamics and chemistry... thinking through and practicing the game plan and strategy... the adrenaline rushing through me during a game and especially during the critical moments... the determination, the intensity, and the look of being in the zone and seeing it my teammates as well... the awesome physical and mental feeling of getting that huge block... the stare-downs... the overpass fisty 5-foot-line kills... being one step ahead of the competition and just smiling knowing that we're going to win and can't be stopped... and celebrating after a huge point (or even the little ones, in my case). Oh, what I wouldn't give for another 'jump spin-fist pump-stomp' combo celebration! I wish competing and playing could last forever (and I'm sure to many people it seemed like it did with my redshirt year!) but my achey-breaky-grandma body has had enough, and I think the NCAA has a few rules about my eligibility being up as well.... But competing for Michigan State University has definitely been one of my favorite things and something I will always cherish and carry with me.


#1 - My Christian Communities 
As if the rest of my countdown wasn't enough to prove God's goodness to me throughout my time at MSU, he richly blessed me with amazing Christian fellowship and communities: my church - Shepherd of the Hills, Athletes in Action, and our team bible study. These 3 communities in conjunction with most of my best friends - who are also fellow brothers and sisters in Christ - have been the most important people to me throughout my career because of the foundation we share on Christ and the way they have spurred me on in my faith. It's so obvious that there was something so right about all of these people, because after saying goodbye to each 'group' after my final meeting or service, I cried... a lot. It was hard and sad to say goodbye to the communities that have helped mold me and support me in my walk with the Lord. And I don't think I fully appreciated the ease and simplicity with which I was able to walk into these uplifting and sound communities. Being on a team, having an athlete campus ministry, finding a wonderful church... it was all just there. Now I know and pray I will always be surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, but nothing will ever quite compare to walking and living daily life with teammates and fellow Christian athletes in a similar environment.

Throughout college the importance of Christian fellowship has been made so apparent to me. God showed up in a BIG way and showed me that despite my resolve and stubbornness and firm convictions, I couldn't maintain true devotion with Him alone. I was weekly and daily fed the truth at church and encouraged and loved on by my congregation. I was able to be supported, poured into, and uplifted by fellow believers at AIA. And I was able to live daily life in fellowship and learn how to honor God in volleyball with some of my believing teammates. I was presented with differing beliefs and views which challenged me and made me turn to God, I was surrounded by friends that had the same convictions as me, I was held accountable in word, actions, and love by fellow believers, and I was poured into and challenged to have an outward-centered faith that didn't keep my salvation to myself. Although, again, it is painful to say goodbye to all of the amazing people that have impacted me and helped me stay on the straight and narrow path, I first of all know that my goodbye is simply a "see you later," and second I know God will continue to show up in my life and surround me people that will help me stay close to Him in the future.


In case you haven't been able to tell, I have loved and been incredibly blessed during my 5 years at Michigan State. These Top 10 moments and things are what I have come to love most and will always cherish. And I think the greatest part about all of this is that because the best of the best consist of all people and relationships, I can actually carry this part of MSU on with me into the future. I praise God for opening up the door for me to attend State in the first place and seeing me through safely and beautifully to my graduation today.
"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances."


No comments:

Post a Comment