Monday, February 13, 2012

The Feast

I wouldn't classify myself as a picky eater. At all. I love and will try 99.9% of the food items you place in front of me. Except bleu cheese. Well, I did try it at one point. I was even tricked into thinking I'd get money for trying it too (Dad......!). So not only was the taste an utter disappointment, but not receiving money for what could very well be the worst piece of food on the planet made it even worse. I hate bleu cheese. Period.

Well, what's that have to do with anything? Some dry, crumbly, gross food... big deal! It may be a stretch, but I think God is thought of as my bleu cheese to a lot of people. Dry, unappealing, acquired, and something that ruins what could've been a really good dish. This is exactly what the devil wants me - and the rest of the world - to think about God and being a Christian. That following God is boring, dry, unappealing, only for those acquired "Jesus Freaks", and that it will ruin what could've been a really good time or experience.

The devil would like me to believe that my God is like bleu cheese. The devil is the "thief (that) comes only to steal and kill and destroy:" Trying to make me believe lies that being a Christian is no fun. That following God isn't worth it. That I can't enjoy myself to the fullest if I follow all those rules and get boxed in by what the Bible says. That I need to find my self-worth in 'things' of this world like the acceptance of others, relationships, being successful, or having my life in order. So while I hear and maybe even listen to these lies, I am robbed of the abundant life I have in my Savior. And if left unchecked, the thief will not only rob me, but kill and destroy my soul and life with God, both here and for eternity.

It is in these moments of doubt and falsehoods that I must remember the beautiful promise at the end of John 10:10 - "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; but I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." In Jesus I have the abundant life. He is gracious enough to let me enjoy this abundance not only with Him, in heaven, for an eternity; but also here and now - on this sinful, rotten, bleu cheese of an earth! This life is the appetizer to the feast in heaven, and none of it has even a hint of bleu cheese on the menu!!


But what is the abundant life? How can I even experience it if I have a list of things I can't even do, things that, by the way, seem pretty fun? Well, Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), and Jesus also said that "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish" (John 10:28). So eternal life is Christ's gift to those who believe and He, in fact, is the life. I receive Christ and eternal life... good... but what about right now?!

He says He has given me "life to the full," and that certainly doesn't mean just in heaven. Examples of full, abundant, and overflowing blessings and lives are not only scattered throughout the entire Bible, but also in my own life. It doesn't take much to notice how gracious and good He has been. His abundance is all around me: The loving relationships of my parents, brother, family, and friends.  The beauty in nature like beaches, rainbows, a peaceful snowfall, mountains, flowers, and the sun shining through the clouds. The joy of being able to engage and participate in my passions like volleyball, piano, being creative, and helping others. The ability to work hard. The health and protection of me and my loved ones. The loyalty and love felt by and for a dog. The plan for my life that has unfolded seamlessly. The protection from sins that could damage my heart and soul. The forgiveness and unconditional love when I need it - which is of course all the time! And most importantly a personal relationship with Jesus, my Savior. If all of this is just an appetizer - yet Everything I need in this life (and without any "bleu cheese" lies) - I cannot wait for the feast of the abundant life in heaven. Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment